Monday, October 1

October 2012 Letter From The Editor


Yes, it's Deaf Awareness Week! Who knew? :) Thanks to deafREVIEW for tipping me off. In addition, I attended Paddy Ladd's lecture of the University of Washington, and that experience also left me full of thought.  I will be following up on that...

 

Versallies
Katie Roberts
September was a glorious month, as many of us from Deaf Spotlight took off for sunny Tuscany climes. (Naples, actually).  I'll be sharing a few pictures, just because I think they're so lovely. Patty, Buddy and Libby from Deaf Spotlight were all great companions, and we have many stories to remember. Jena Floyd did stay here in Seattle, and she wrote about the ASL Art Walk this past month. There's just one more this year - the next one will be led by Rob Roth on October 3rd.
 
 
Street Artists in Florence (Chalk)
Patty Liang
Our postings this month is a bit light, but I've got great material to share with you.  Did you know that September 30th is the date at when all prerecorded vidoes are required to have captioning available?  I will definitely be keeping an eye on my Netflix account..


Ryan Schlecht, Age 5
The first thing up is my  article about Ryan Schlecht and his upcoming one man show, "Vivacity of ASL". I've known Ryan for several years, but finally had the opportunity to sit down with him and pick his brain a bit, dig through his history as an actor.  He has a show coming up, and I'm eager to see what he has to offer all of us. This is the big thing that we all are excited about this month - see you there!

Joshua Jones also has the Restaurant Review - he took a detour and visited Portland.  What a terrific city, although my heart's in Seattle. Sorry, Portland - but I'll visit often. You're welcome here, too.
Venice
Katie Roberts

Please remember to contact me if you are interested in submitting something - we want the opportunity to showcase the talent out there in the Pacific Northwest. Please email us with the required information - your name, contact info, city/state, attachment of your work with a title, and a website if you have one at whatsupblogds@gmail.com. We will screen and select for the upcoming month's online edition. The deadline is October 25th, if you wish to submit something to the next edition.

Note: I have a new email address beginning this month - please contact me there from now on. whatsupblogds@gmail.com


See You Next Month,
Katie Roberts
Editor





No comments:

Post a Comment