Friday, November 16

deafREVIEW: Monthly Showcase


Madonna @ Key Arena

While I know that it’s not every day you come across a Deaf individual who enjoys music as much as I do, I will be the first to admit, most of my love for music came from the early stages of my deafness when I was under 12 years of age and could hear clearly. Since then, I have been obsessed with the music artist we call Madonna, Madge, or Esther. Watching her constant transformation has left me awe inspired over the years both as an artist and a business woman. 

Photo by Echo Greenlee
 Anyone who attends a Madonna concert knows that the tickets sell out quickly. Being I was travelling in another country when the tickets went on sale made it extra challenging, but somehow the universe provided and I was able to snag my tickets before the show sold out. My second challenge would be to have accommodations met so that I could partake in the music event just like my hearing peers. To my liking, I had learned that there were actually a few other Deaf individuals who requested Interpreters! Deaf Madonna fans, right in my backyard? Requesting ASL Interpreters was actually the easy part for once! (Thank you Key Arena!)

The show was spectacular in every way, over the top, and not without controversy! I can’t stress enough how awe inspiring this woman is. If you should ever find yourself with an opportunity to see Madonna perform, you should grab it in a heart-beat! My words couldn’t do it justice. Here is a short clip produced by fellow Madonna fan and Seattle resident, Ray Dominguez.


 
 

I have to send huge thanks to Key Arena who was accommodating in every way. Not only did they accept all of my relay calls, but being that our deaf group made our request plenty of time in advance, they even allowed us to have a say in which preferred interpreters we wished to work the event. They juggled all of our different seating arrangements; found the best spot in the house where we would have visibility of the stage and interpreters and even set-up lights to shine on the interpreter so we could see them at times when the arena went dark.
 
 
Photo by Echo Greenlee


Thank you Key Arena for bringing Madonna to Seattle and filling our accommodation requests without hassle – Kudos to business that “get it”! 

No comments:

Post a Comment