Sunday, November 25

Spotlight Studio: Photography




The Instructor's Perspective
Loren Ashton
 
“Rule of thirds. Look for patterns. Less sky, more ground. Look for contrasting colors. Keep it simple—less is more. Photograph one object…” Those were the tips and other concepts that I described in my photography course to a total of five motivated and curious students. The photography course was mainly focused on using digital cameras and/or camera phones—to learn how to capture best images with the new applied rules in mind. The class took place on a cloudy rainy day. While on way to the photo class, I thought to myself: Perfect day for capturing images outside. Why? Dark rainy clouds add much more depth to the photos, rather than a sunny cloudless day. That's a photography tip for you!

The secret to capturing eye-candy pictures is all about learning the rules then learning how to break them. I brought my iPad with sample photos to show them concepts of what to look for in the camera view finder. Then I sent the students outside for approximately 45 minutes to snap away, and then return to class to show their work to one another. I asked them to e-mail me their photo work so I could pull up their photos on my iPad and everyone could see their work. This provided as an opportunity for each person to get their feedback while understanding the art of photography better.


With the students’ permissions, I would like to show off their vibrant colorful images, which they learned in class!  I can't wait to teach another class soon!

 

A Student's Perspective
Jena Floyd


I met with Loren Ashton of Shot by Loren Photography, the instructor for Deaf Spotlight, and the rest of my class at the 15th Avenue Coffee & Tea -- on a typical Seattle rainy afternoon. Some of us had tea and coffee which kept us all warm and toasty throughout the class. We briefly got acquainted with each other before our class started.


The instructor initiated the class by asking everyone if they brought their camera. Most of us brought our iPhone and small cameras except one who brought in her professional camera, a SLR (a single-lens reflex camera)  - whoo, I had brought just my iPhone!. Our instructor asked what we'd like to learn. Some of us expressed curiosity about how to take great Instagram pictures. Some asked about usage of color (whether to use vibrant or normal colors).

Loren demonstrated and explained the rules of photography by using her iPad as a visual aid. She showed several photos and some of her works which applied aforementioned rules. While teaching in a show-and-tell manner, Loren introduced several technical terms and well-relied techniques such as symmetry, balancing elements, and depth. It's fascinating how photographers of any experience levels apply simple rules, making their work so amazing and substantial. Such as applying the rule of thirds (3/4) -  pictures often come out great while many of us would think a subject in the middle would cut it.  It’s amazing how a small difference or adjustment could make, right? Loren's passionate & energetic talk made photography seem, to me, easy and simple!

Loren then asked us to take pictures while applying the recently learned tips. We wanted to snap pictures around inside the cozy, warm coffeehouse, but we weren't allowed to according to Starbucks' photo policy -- so we headed outside instead. We braved some light rain, chilly air, and clouds, which dimmed our urban surroundings and -- ahem, my mood. Despite the cloudy, wet weather, I got so excited taking pictures of colorful outdoor board stands that I didn't exactly follow the rules Loren explained earlier.



After our outdoor activity, we returned with our cameras and e-mailed our works to the instructor. The coolest part of the class is that the instructor showed our works from her iPad while giving feedback. Some pictures we *just* took came out beautifully -- despite the weather! You can see how we benefited from Loren's teaching as evidenced by photos you're looking at right now.

With newly acquired skills from this class, I know my Instagram pictures will look all jazzed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment