Sunday, September 16

deafREVIEW Monthly Showcase

I’ve attended countless DeafNation Expos here in Seattle, but nothing could prepare me for my first trip to Deaf NationWorld Expo in Las Vegas last month. Held bi-annually, the DeafNation World Expo 2012 brought in over 16,000 deaf/hh individuals from over 36 countries into one luxurious hotel, Mandalay Bay.




For a period of three days, I made my way to approximately 300 exhibitor booths, socialized with countless deaf/hh individuals from all over the USand even made time for relaxation at one of the many pools in the city. Deaf Nation World Expo was by far the largest deaf event I have ever been to, if not the largest deaf event in the world.

I was especially impressed with South Africa’s Braam Jordaan who created an amazing animated video that lasted several minutes focusing on Language, Culture and Pride. The animated video was displayed on the Fremont Street Experience screen which is equivalent to four football fields in size. Performances by John Maucere and Sean Forbes were fresh and entertaining. I was equally impressed with all of the Deaf Nation Inspiration Award Recipients, including Seattle’s own, Marilyn J Smith.



As a deaf consumer, I’m always thinking about ways to make my every-day life barrier free, and my trip to Las Vegas was no exception. I thought wouldn’t it be great, if the front desk clerk at the hotel knew to make eye-contact with me and was willing to write back and forth if needed (without an attitude)? Prior to leaving for my trip to Las Vegas, I decided to send tip sheets to all the area hotels in Las Vegas with special focus on hotels hosting the Deaf Nation World Expo. I often do this prior to going to my first appointment with any service provider so that they can think about what it might be like to communicate with someone who is deaf/hh.
 
I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at my hotel, MGM Grand – Signature. The front desk clerk was very patient with my communication needs and my check in process was smooth as smooth could be. All of the waiters/waitresses we encountered were very willing to accommodate our deaf group and the varying communication needs. I was even able to order room service for an early work meeting without issue. My personal deafREVIEW for MGM Grand – Signature in Las Vegas = a deaf-friendly success!

All the fun, entertaining and educational benefits of Deaf Nation World Expo aside, what I gained most from my experience was the opportunity to connect and socialize with thousands of deaf/hh individuals from different time zones, all in one place. I highly recommend you put this on your bucket list for 2014!

deafREVIEW tip: If you are considering Deaf Nation 2014, stay in hotels that Deaf Nation has personally recommended on their website. This keeps you close to all the action and adds to the social experience of meeting other deaf/hh people.





No comments:

Post a Comment