Tuesday, September 18

Spotlight Studio: Teacher's Perspective

Jena Floyd



 
On Saturday, August 22, 2012, I led a perception drawing class for Deaf Spotlight. 6 students came with full of curious learning energy. Sure enough, they continuously emitted such energy throughout the session. I had so much fun working with them!
 
 
 
 As an instructor, I had students work on developing their perception drawing skills and it was a truly fascinating experience for me. I got to watch them evolve as they showed their works throughout the session. I loved how they explained their experience of applying what I've demonstrated through drawing. Some expressed frustration, excitement, struggle, and lastly, nostalgia from their childhood and school years of doing art.
 
Some had an epiphany on how to make a picture more dimensional. Some were curious about whether shading could make a difference in distance perspective drawing. With all of my students' eagerness and curiosity, it made my teaching so easy and enjoyable!

I introduced several academic terms to the class and had them draw in different perspectives such as a bird's view, ground level view, and so on. It was quite challenging for me especially when explaining such concepts on how to see things differently and base on what point to make it dimensional. I also demonstrated by actually drawing in pencil and markers on papers so they could see what I mean and do it themselves with their drawing tools.
 

At the end of the session, as evidenced by their process they left with newly acquired and or refreshed knowledge/skills about building lines on paper, making them dimensional and  perceptual.

They seemed to have a grand time throughout the session. The most moving part of the session was watching my students' eyes sparking whenever they experience an "ah-ha" moment -- of learning or applying something new. I sure had a lot of fun!

For any upcoming Spotlight Studio classes, be sure to
sign up because I know you will have a lot of fun. I know because I've seen my students light up and more relaxed after the session.
 
Coming up tomorrow is a student's perspective of the studio sesson. Check back with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment